Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pirate Morals


All my shows have an educational message where I teach health, history or other lessons. I also teach an ethical message. In the past, I’ve taught things such as social equality and good self esteem. With next year’s touring show I needed a lesson. This show is all about pirates, so the obvious thing to teach is that children shouldn’t steal. To make this lesson appropriate for children K-3rd, I’m going to focus on how a child might feel if something of theirs was taken. Children will learn a secular version of “The Golden Rule”. Since this is a pirate show, there will be a pirate character who steals things. This pirate character will be a shark. He will learn how he might feel if some took his things. The shark will be one of several NEW characters in this show. If you’ve seen one of my pirate shows before then this will be a very different show. I’ll be test marketing the new shark puppet for a while so when this show officially opens it should be a lot of fun.